I'm grateful for my BODY

Y’all know I love me some gratitude! This was inspired by the Self-Discovery, Word by Word Blogger series (more info on that and how you can participate below)

After so many years battling the shape of my body, today I proudly share what I am grateful for, from toes to head.

I am grateful for my feet. One bunion surgery, 100′s of late night dancing in sky-high stilettos, mountains climbed and miles walked later, my feet have carried me through it all. And hot-dang do I love me a good pedicure.

I am grateful for my calves. OK, so I have to buy knee-high boots for women with larger-sized calves. Whatever. But they’re athletic and strong.

I am grateful for my knees. For as much activity as I’ve seen in my 30 years, I’ve never had a problem with these joints. Keep hanging in there, girls!

I am grateful for my thighs. I can leg press over 200 pounds. I’ve climbed glaciers. I’ve run miles. And although they often been my greatest enemy at times, I am grateful because they’re mine.

I am grateful for my butt. Ah, gluteus maximus (and minimus!), you power me through spin classes. And you turn heads.

I am grateful for my waist. So tiny and toned, I never have to do a sit-up as long as I live.  (Thanks for the genetics, Mom!)

I am grateful for my breasts. Yup, they’re small, but they’re all natural, baby.

I am grateful for my arms. Bless you, genetics. I am the proud owner of beautiful, toned, shapely arms that look great in tank tops. My arms are also able to carry pounds and pounds of groceries and shopping bags with no problem, making the envy of all other New Yorkers.

I am grateful for my back. So strong after years of weight lifting.

I am grateful for my shoulders. For putting up with purses that are way too heavy. For responding to physical therapy.

I am grateful for my collarbone and neck. My most favorite part of my body. Graceful, strong and very Audrey Heburn.

I am grateful for my hair. And this is only because I have the Keratin Brazilian treatment. ;-)

I am grateful that I love my body at a weight I previously thought was unlovable.

I am grateful for all that my body has allowed me to do, and will do in the future.

What parts of your body are you grateful for?

This post is part of the Self-Discovery, Word by Word series created by Ashley of Nourishing Wisdom and other bloggers. The goal of this series is to challenge ourselves to reflect on ideas that we may not often consider in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. The words that are chosen are meant to provoke thought and ultimately growth. As part of the blogging community (whether you are a blog reader or a have your own), we all have a unique opportunity to share our insights, our struggles, and our triumphs to help each other develop in new ways. The words selected will be broad and hopefully of interest to all types of bloggers and readers. Click here for more information on how you can participate!

, ,

9 Responses to I'm grateful for my BODY

1. JackieFur October 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

LOVE this!!!

2. Melinda October 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

every day you impress me more and more! i love opening your blog each day! thank you!

3. Val October 14, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

HOLY LEG PRESS! :)

And yay for natural boobs too!

4. nancy fox October 14, 2010 at 11:41 pm #

What a fab post, Amanda. Funny, today, I began each client session with a question about what they were grateful for.
    Now I read your blogpost on gratitude for our bodies. Well, I have so much to be grateful for: first that my body is alive. If I had been born 15 years before, that probably wouldn’t be true. Then I am so grateful for good “thin” genes, good shoulders and arms, pretty good aging genetics, and I’ll even toss in gratitude for freckles. (boy is that a transformation) But like you, I am REALLY grateful for my hair. God made a mistake – in no way should I have been born with curly hair. God has been chastised thanks to keratin. Ha ha, God, I finally got the hair I deserved. (oh and by the way, I am grateful to have hair)

• Amanda October 14, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

Nancy, thank you so much for sharing. You have so much to be grateful for! And the last line about hair made me crack up….I too am grateful for hair! xoxo

5. Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul October 15, 2010 at 2:45 am #

Fantastic, Amanda! Thanks so much for participating in the series!

6. Kristan October 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

Considering how easy it is to focus on the negatives about our appearances, I love that you are celebrating your body! Hmm, I’m grateful for… my eyes and my hair, most of all I think.

Fellow Self-Discovery: Gratitude participant here, just stopping in to read and say hi. :)

• Amanda October 23, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

Thanks for visiting, Kristan. Rock those gorgeous eyes and that beautiful hair!

7. Tacoma gym June 21, 2013 at 7:02 am #

This article couldn’t be more correct. Short but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing this one. A must read post!